Khao Tao is a quiet fishing and beach village 15KM south of Hua Hin and 15Km north of Pranburi. It got it’s name from its turtle shaped rock outcrop (in Thai, khao = mountain, tao = turtle).
It is an area that has begun to develop with condo projects overlooking Sai Yai beach and several luxury European villa developments, though it still maintains it’s quiet mountain vibe and has several local restaurants serving both Thai and Western food, as well as the modern convenience of 7/11 stores, etc.
Khao Tao is becoming more widely known as a nice relaxing vacation spot south of the busier Hua Hin, which has retained it’s natural surroundings and an old way of living that has barely been affected by modern developments.
Key features of the area are:
- the long sandy Sai Yai and Suan Son beaches ideal for walking and kite-surfing, very popular with Thai tourists and sometimes busy over the holiday periods,
- the cove of Sai Noi beach with several beach front seafood restaurants,
- the large Chinese temple complex with interesting caves, statues, view points, and food outlets,
- The Royal Summer Palace,
- Khao tao lake, a nice place to relax or going fishing,
- the 18 hole Eagle golf course,
Anyone visiting the area with some free time on their hands is recommended to check out Khao Tao, especially if you are visiting during a Thai festival season such as Loy Kratong which is a real spectacular in this area!